Tourism Master Plan Of Karşıyaka / 2009 - 2014 / Izmir - Turkey
Karşıyaka Tourism Projects in between the strategic goals of Strategic Plan have been selected for further research area of the region. The results and findings of the research have been evaluated as a basic input of 2009-2014 Tourism Master Plan preparation process. All of these studies have been conducted by researchers of the municipality and the academic staff of the Izmir University of Economics as a professional independent project.
In the preliminary stages of the project, all of the written documents in this field have been examined and after a comprehensive literature review, a situation analysis has been completed by the project team. In the next stage, several focus group studies have been realized with the beneficiaries and municipality representatives. The opportunities and threats of the tourism sector and strengths and weaknesses of the municipality and the region have been determined. The results of the SWOT analysis have been discussed and evaluated with the mayor and the top management of the municipality for further development.
In the next stage of the project, a field study has been conducted to determine attitudes and behaviors of the inhabitants of Karşıyaka towards tourism projects in the region. The results of the situation analysis and SWOT analysis have been used during the preparation of tourism questionnaire and statistical criterions have been considered to have statistical significance. The results of about 1400 questionnaires have been collected and evaluated by SPSS software to determine the public opinion about the tourism project alternatives and also they have been informed about the future studies of the municipality. This survey would be one of the most important factors to motivate the dynamics of the region for the realization of tourism plan.
According to the results of an extensive field research and analysis of the participants, the following were chosen as the strategic objectives for 2009-2014 periods and were emphasized as the fundamental suggestions for the tourism plan:
- Building a marina in Mavisehir,
- Improving sailing activities in Karşıyaka,
- Organizing a village like Sirince in Dogancay,
- Package tours (Packages for trips to places like Smyrna).
Furthermore, by taking into consideration the fact that the economic interest will be shared among the neighboring municipalities and from the technical point of view, by thinking that it would be impossible to divide and separate this type of projects from one another, the projects for the regions lying outside the boundaries have been suggested as the projects which can be realized collectively. Marina in Mavisehir, sailing activities in Karşıyaka and package tours to Karşıyaka are a great extent under the initiative of Karşıyaka Municipality and they are the projects which can get support from the related public institutions and associations. Besides the projects which will be given primary priority, the following tourism projects and activities aiming at improving the vision for the future have been suggested:
- Aquarium Project: The issue of setting up an aquarium in Izmir has been on the agenda for many years, but because of EXPO 2015 studies it couldn’t be brought to the fore. However, by believing that such a facility will be very advantageous for both tourism and science, the necessary preliminary studies were carried out. Examples were examined and by having discussions with the administrators of Oceanario Aquarium in Lisbon, a promise was obtained that they would be helpful in setting up such a large aquarium in Izmir. This issue was thoroughly examined with a consultant firm which planned 80 percent of the aquariums in the world. Making a plan for such a facility together with the marina in Karşıyaka will be very appropriate and this may gain Karşıyaka an attraction point in terms of Turkey and the Mediterranean Region.
- Children’s Museum and Library: This issue was mentioned in the public survey we conducted. Last year, children’s museum newly founded in USA was examined and it was witnessed that such a facility is in demand in America and that it influences the identity of a city. Therefore, setting up an exact similar of children’s museum in Izmir is the issue. Children having a right to say about such a place and consequently the emergence of a children’s museum as a result of the workshops have great importance. In this way, by including potential users; children and their parents in the process, the project’s opportunity for success may be increased.
- Butterfly Museum - Butterfly House: Foundation of a butterfly house in the projected university campus or in the existing parks of Karşıyaka as a continuation of the Natural Park in Sasali village can be an attraction point throughout the whole year. This butterfly house is a facility that can attract students of all ages, which requires a low cost and which is easy to run. Butterflies are bought as cocoons at a rather low price from Costa Rica and similar countries of Central America and multicolored butterflies which completed their metamorphosis are put in a greenhouse and they may even perch on the visitors and make up an interesting sight. The fact that butterflies are different in various months ensures that visitors come regularly. It is suggested that preliminary research should be done on this issue.
- Time Travel Project in the Ancient Harbor: It is possible to build an Ancient Harbor in an area close to Bostanli Pier, to exhibit old boats and ships there and to transform this region into a naval museum gradually. It will be possible to prepare a time travel animation in this area which will be organized. Cooperation is being realized between Kalmar city museum in Sweden on this issue. A team from Karşıyaka Municipality has joined training program in Kalmar.
- Improving Tennis Sport and Arranging Tournaments: Tennis matches were held during Universiade in Karşıyaka and many tennis courts and additional facilities were built for this purpose. In order to utilize these infrastructure possibilities and to create a new opportunity for the inhabitants of Karşıyaka; arranging tennis lessons, club activities and tournaments can indirectly provide support for tourism.
- Bospa, Bostanli Bazaar: Bostanli Bazaar, which attracts inhabitants of Karşıyaka and the people living in neighboring towns, has the potential to attract both domestic and foreign tourists. By making studies to improve the quality of the service, to control and to promote the service, Karşıyaka Municipality can increase the bazaar’s contribution to tourism.
- Founding a university in the environs of Yuksek Vadi housing estate: Although this project is not a touristic activity, it can serve the development of the region. Such investments in the field of education involve information build-up and possibilities for infrastructure.
After the Tourism Plan study, action plans and details of the selected projects must be prepared for the attention of potential investors, preliminary feasibility studies must be prepared to attract business man. It is strongly recommended to organize study groups related with the selected projects in the municipality organization. IUE always will be ready for further cooperation with her available academic staff.
IUE Project Team
May 24, 2009 - Izmir